Hero of Precinct One is a 2/2 creature that will create a 1/1 Human token whenever you cast a multicoloured spell. I’m always a fan of cards that can generate tokens whenever something unrelated happens as they can often overwhelm an opponent if not dealt with swiftly. For example, here are a couple of standard cards that create tokens on an easily repeatable basis:
- Deeproot Waters: Create a 1/1 merfolk with hexproof whenever you cast a merfolk spell
- Desecrated Tomb: Create a 1/1 bat with flying whenever one or more creatures leave your graveyard
- Mavren Fein, Dusk Apostle: Create a 1/1 vampire with lifelink whenever one or more nontoken vampires you control attack
- Murmuring Mystic: Create a 1/1 bird illusion with flying whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell
- Regal Bloodlord: Create a 1/1 bat with flying if you gained life this turn
- Verdant Force: Create a 1/1 green saproling at the start of each upkeep
- Sai, Master Thopterist: Create a 1/1 thopter with flying whenever you cast an artifact spell
- Resplendent Angel: Create a 4/4 angel with flying and vigilance if you gained at least 5 life this turn
Hero of Precinct One slots into this philosophy well, especially in the Ravnica block where there are a far higher ratio of multicoloured spells when compared to previous sets1. It is fortunate that there are so many ways to trigger this as you don’t get much value from the tokens themselves being basic 1/1 humans with no abilities2. Saprolings are the nearest comparison but at least they have several cards that give them bonuses3; humans have no synergistic cards whatsoever.
Regardless, there are still a couple of good options for pairing. First of all, Judith, the Scourge Diva can turn your tokens into 2/1’s and deal 1 damage to any target if they happen to die. Secondly, Heroic Reinforcements will give you an extra pair of tokens and give all creatures +1/+1 and haste (which is useful as you’ll get an extra token just by casting this). If you cast Hero of Precinct One on turn 2, Judith, the Scourge Diva on turn 3, and Heroic Reinforcements on turn 4, you can have four 3/2 tokens attacking alongside a 4/3 Judith and 4/3 Hero. 20 damage across six bodies on turn 4 with the potential for two of them to hit for 1 damage if they are killed? I like those odds. Things get even better if you manage to play multiple copies of Hero of Precinct One for additional tokens per spell.
It’s great that WotC got Bram Sels to do the artwork for both the Hero of Precinct One and the RNA human token as you can see a direct link between the two; the token scene is just a bit further zoomed in and shows the people behind the titular hero4. The guy with the pitchfork is a bit weird though especially as it only has two tines5 and I can’t imagine there is much farm work on Ravnica…
Percentage of multicoloured cards in standard sets in descending order are: RNA (31.5%), GRN (31.1%), RIX (9.8%), DOM (7.9%), XLN (6.2%), and M19 (4.5%). That’s a total of 245 multicoloured cards out of the 1639 currently in standard (14.9%). ↩︎
Not to be confused with the GRN soldier token which is a white 1/1 with lifelink. It’s instead exactly the same as the M19 soldier token which is a white 1/1 with no abilities. It’s a little confusing sometimes! ↩︎
In a weird way it reminds me of the excellent card game Gloom where you can overlay cards with transparent ones to change their effect; this feels like the hero could have the human tokens overlaid on top which is just awesome. ↩︎